Thursday, October 21, 2004

Accident Ettiquite

Well I woke up this morning to some fresh snow. Wonderful yes, but also very dangerous. I left for school this morning 45 minutes early because as usual the roads would be in bad condition. I was right, coming down a hill "Antler Hill", there was an accident, there was a truck going southbound that lost control and crossed the median and split into two and the front end of the truck ended up in the passing lane going northbound. It looked like it just happened so I decided to get out and see if I could offer any assistance. Emergency crews were on the way but the traffic was backing up so me and another guy started directing traffic so that way emergency crews could get there faster. We had one guy who was a total asshole who said that we were crazy to be out there directing traffic. So I ask all of you who do winter driving to do the following:
-allow lots of time, just because it is nice out your front window doesn't mean that it is going to be that way at your destination.
-slow down, I learned this lesson a few winters ago, when you hit a patch of black ice you're pretty much done for.
-if you come to an accident scene turn on your blinkers to warn others behind you of the situation. If there are emergency crews on site you don't have to stop.
-if you witness the accident, stop. Did you know that leaving the scene of the accident without talking to the police is a criminal offence, here in Alberta I think the ticket is about $500.
-if there is no one around stop also, check to see if you should call 911.
-paitence is a virtue people!!! if you happen to get caught up in a traffic jam due to an accident be paitent and don't be rude because if you piss off someone badly enough they can report your licence plate. Did you know that when an ambulance is in transit the person in the passenger seat is writing down your licence plate number to give to the cops because you were not giving the right of way.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Well folks, she didn't make it, apparently when you cross the median, hit a greyhound bus and you aren't wearing your seatbelt, you sustain injuries that end your life!

I'm Back!! said...

oh no :( skhh!!! reminds me to my uncle and cousin.....
You also have got to promise me to becareful out there ok?

Michelle said...

i try... i got finnish tires on my car, there are no studs, but grooves, deep grooves!