Wednesday, March 21, 2007

How do we deal with homelessness?

I have often thought about this. Recently however it's gained some media attention. There was a thing on Oprah the other day, it was about a homeless guy who was given $100000 and a documentary was made. And just tonight on CBC's The National, Mark Kelley spent 7 days in Montreal homeless. There was also that gentleman who lived in a tent city in Toronto for a year and wrote a book "Down To This".

The question of how to deal with homelessness is not easy. It's complicated by mental illness, substance abuse/ addiction, and finances.

The scary to thing is that alot of us are on the brink of being homeless ourselves. I think that it is even moreso these days where the gap between rich and poor is widening and deepening.

The working homeless is a common thing in Calgary. I have often thought that if they were given the opportunity to get affordable housing whether these individuals would be able to pass that on to someone else. It makes me wonder if it was possible to come up with a program that would give someone who is working but is homeless the opportunity to buy their own housing, one chance to make it. I think that's all that some people need... one chance.

I have had people walk up to me and ask for money out on the streets, sometimes I ask them why. Usually when they say it is for food I take them somewhere to get something to eat. It makes me wish that I could do more. I am very lucky to be where I am at. I think it's because I have had alot of chances. I'd like ot be able to give someone theirs!

No comments: