Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Calgary racism gets international attention

A story that Global Calgary did on night club racism is getting some international attention. I just checked youtube.com and found it. There are many things about all this that makes me mad.

Firstly, it gives the perception that Calgary is redneck, and out of the times. This is sad to see. I love Calgary. Calgary has so many cultural dimensions.

Secondly, Calgary is not the only place where this happens. In Sweden this happens quite regularily. When I went to school there, we had a habit of going out on Friday afternoons for what they call "After work", which essentially is happy hour with food. Anyways, some of my classmates had a hard time getting to some places. Take case in point, one of my black friends, who was usually better dressed than the lot of us (dress pants, dress shirt and a tie!!) and was hassled nearly every single time we went out. They usually checked and double checked his passport as identification. Meanwhile here is myself who rarely was checked and when I was I produced my Alberta's drivers licence as identification.

Lastly, I can't understand how people can do this to other people. Sure criticize me for having a horrible personality, or if I was a snob. But to make a decision on one person based on the color of their skin is down right stupid and wrong.

No comments: