Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Will November 2, 2004 Go Down In History?

Okay this is pretty much judgement day down in the states. People all over the world have been looking forward to this day for a long time. I remember when they were having democratic primaries earlier this year and the coverage by Swedish television was something else, I didn't think that something like this would get some much attention, yes I know that America is dominerring to some extent here in North America but in Europe. But when I really think about it I think I know why we are all paying such close attention this time around, it's because we all know that old GWB rigged the election to win, there is so much controversy about it this day that you gotta wonder what the shady old bugger is going to do next.

I love the emphasis that people are making to get others to go out and vote. I saw Jennifer Aniston last night, so this is what you do when you don't have to go to work!! Now when I was in high school we talked about the Canadian electoral system, and we just barely touched on the American system, I think I know why, a person literally has to have a degree in political science in order to understand the american political system. In some cases one person, one vote, one voice does not apply. They have this rather fucked up system known as electoral college in some states. It is no wonder there is voter apathy is these parts, who would want to vote and not have their voice heard. One thing that mystifies me is that you have to register well in advance in order to vote, oh wait a second you can vote at the last minute, you can vote on a provisional ballot? What the hell is that? Well say you go to vote and you are not on the voters list but you still want to vote, you can use a provisional ballot, but the provisional ballots will only be used in cases where there is tight race yeah that is getting my voice heard loud and clear. In Canada all I need is a voter card which is mailed out ahead of time, and all I need to do is bring ID the rest is taken care of!!

Another thing that really gets me is this whole two party system, what happens if you don't like either candidate and you still want to vote, do you go out and vote for the lesser of two evils or do you go out and spoil the vote? Now okay I know that Republicans are right wing and Democrats are left wing, well what about some one in the middle, or what about putting some extremists in there, could you imagine communists in america? Scary thought for the poor communists, living in fear that they would get browbeaten by some crazy dumbass republican (cough Bush cough cough)

Why is it that these terms of office are either 2 years or 4 years?? Now what kind of legislation is going to get put through in that amount of time, not to mention if you're president for 4 years and you get your ass kicked, and the incumbent says that every piece of legislation that you put through was shit? What is going to happen now? Sounds pretty counterproductive to me don't you think??? Not to mention term limits!! Seriously Clinton could have done the states a hell of a lot of good if they were able to keep him in office a bit longer. Hell they wouldn't have gone to Iraq. Wow almost $2 billion saved there, you could have put that towards a national percription policy, wow!

So tonight I am going to sit at home curled up in my chaise and watch the results, hoping and praying that something better will come along in the future. Afterall we are still living in fear of nuclear anialation, Osama bin Laden, and the Bush Brothers. I am going to try and figure out all this confusion on my own and hope to make sense of all this in four years time, but then again will there be a vote in four years time, I guess we will have to wait and see!!

No comments: