Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Questions of Immigration

So when I was visiting Max over the weekend the topic of Max actually making the move over here came up. I am beginning to think that the planets are going to have to be alined in order for this to go the right way!
First of all deciding which route to go under is going to be quite the undertaking. We could apply in one of two ways (I think): firstly, I could sponsor him to come over, which brings me to the first bump in the road, according the the definition of conjugate we cannot get married. But however if we get married before we make the application then we won't hit that bump! Now get this the Government of Canada wants to ensure the legitimacy of this relationship so they are requiring that we provide pictures and testimonials of our engagement party, the wedding, and the honeymoon! Not only that they want to know who proposed and where and what date! Yikes, I don't want to hand over my personal diary!! The second route which seems a bit easier is if Max were to apply for a residency permit on his own, he would qualify because he has the minimum requirement of "points", but has no work experience.
I am thinking right now that the easiest thing to do would be to hire a lawyer and get it done that way, I have heard that this process can take up to three years to complete!! Once Max gets his permanent residence he then has to wait three years and then he has to pass a Citizenship test to gain Canadian citizenship! Boy I tell ya if I didn't love the boy as much as I do, I don't think I would be able to handle all of this!!!

No comments: